I recently received an email from Annie with the subject ‘our dog swallowed a bag of scrabble tiles,’ asking What can I give my dog to help them pass an object?. After receiving that email, I felt very distressed because this is not good, especially when a pet dog swallows a bag of Scrabble tiles.
After that, I searched the internet and learned that many people had faced the same incident over the last few years, and no single valid answer was provided anywhere. After helping my dear friend Annie, I decided to write this article so no one has to spend hours and hours searching when the dog is struggling with pain due to a bag of Scrabble times in their digestive tract, and there’s no quick medical help nearby.
In this article, I will tell you what you need to know regarding dogs swallowing a bag of Scrabble tiles and what you should be doing. I will also tell you how long it takes for a dog to pass Scrabble tiles.
Since dogs love to explore and have high curiosity about chewing on things they shouldn’t, this article may help you a lot in helping your Pooch pass any object through their digestive system without any issue.
If not done correctly, it can lead to serious health complications. Before I tell you what to do if your dogs swallow an object, you should know that a professional should always address this situation.
Therefore, if this is the case, you should get your dog to the nearest vet clinic as soon as possible. This type of condition may also require a small surgery. But if your dog seems quite well right now, here is what you know about helping a dog pass scribble tiles through its digestive tract.
Our Dog Swallowed A Bag Of Scrabble Tiles: What To Do
If your dog has swallowed a bag of Scrabble tiles, you should immediately call your better consultation. While doing so, you should also monitor your dog closely for signs of comfort & distress.
If your dog has solved something, it may exhibit signs of vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite, and abdominal pain. If I were at your place, I wouldn’t have waited for my dog to show any symptoms of pain or distress.
I would have rather taken my dog to the nearest vet as soon as possible for a quick x-ray to determine the actual location of the scrabble tiles and the immediate course of action possible to get it out of my dog’s system.
According to a study published in the Journal of Veterinary Medical Science, foreign body ingestion is one of the most common reasons dogs visit the emergency veterinarian, accounting for 1.2% to 2.7% of all cases.
What Can I Give My Dog To Help Them Pass An Object?
If it’s not possible to consult with your veterinarian now, You should try some household remedies to help your dog pass the object. One of the most common remedies that will help you a lot is feeding a small amount of canned pumpkin.
Pumpkin tends to have high fiber content, which will work on your dog’s digestive system and force the object out. Another option is a little olive oil in your dog. The oil will lubricate the object and make it easier for your dog to pass.
I am not just saying this out of no way. This practice is backed by research/study. According to a study published in the Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, not only surgurical intervention but also dietary fiber & lubricants can be effective in treating dogs with obstructive gastrointestinal foreign bodies.
- Also Consider Reading
- My Dog Swallowed a Beef Bone Without Chewing: 5 Do’s & Don’ts
- Dog Swallowed Baby Rabbit Whole: What To Do & Know
- Dog Swallowed Skunk Spray: 5 Do’s, 7 Risks, & 3 Prevention Tips
When To Induce Vomiting?
Did you know that inducing vomiting may help your dog pass the object sooner? However, this should always be done under the guidance of your veterinarian. They will be the best person to determine if the Scrabble tiles have yet passed the intestine.
If the object is small, reducing vomiting will help your dog pass the object. As per a study published in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, the use of emetics to induce vomiting can be effective in treating dogs with foreign body ingestion.
But, it would be best if you never tried to use amitik without the guardians Of a professional veterinarian. Veterinarians usually avoid inducing vomiting when a pet ingests an acidic substance, like a cleaning product or bleach, because it can cause more harm than good.
What To Expect At The Vet?
When you accidentally take your dog that has swallowed Scrabble tiles to the veterinarian, the vet usually performs a physical examination with some diagnostic test like an x-ray or ultrasound to determine the actual location of the objects.
Depending upon the size of the location and object, a professional veterinarian may recommend you either wait & monitor your dog or perform surgery to remove the object, which is definitely concerning.
But in the majority of cases, they induce vomiting. By surgery, you should never be afraid and feel distressed for your pet because it is usually a last resort. Surgery is necessary when the object is very large or obstructed in your pup’s digestive system.
No vet recommends surgery unless necessary, as it carries risks, including complications from anesthesia and infections.
How Long Does It Take For A Dog To Pass An Object?
The time your dog takes to pass a foreign object depends upon its size and the type of object he swallowed. It also depends upon the size and the health of your dog as well. In major cases, foreign objects may pass within 24 to 48 hours through your dog’s digestive system.
Also, the average time for objects to pass through the gastrointestinal tract was 23.6 hours in dogs that did not require surgical intervention.
However, it may even take every day or week for that object to pass. This is why it’s important to closely monitor your dog during this time and see medical care if it shows any distress.
Can Dogs Pass Plastic If They Swallow It?
Yes, dogs may pass plastic through their digestive system, but only if they swallow the small ones. In some cases, plastic can cause an obstruction that may require surgical intervention from a professional. It’s better to consult with your veterinarian to understand whether your dog will pass the plastic if they swallow it.
What Are The Signs That My Dog Has Swallowed An Object?
If your dog accidentally follows an object, it may show signs of diarrhea, vomiting, lack of appetite, lethargy, and abdominal pain, as discussed above. If you think your dog has indeed ingested something that it shouldn’t, I recommend you seek veterinary care immediately.
How Can You Prevent My Dog From Swallowing Objects?
If you want to keep your dog from Swallowing any foreign object, I recommend you supervise them closely when playing around with obstacles or toys. It would be best if you also kept any potential hazards out of reach from your dog. You can also consider training your dog to command, like drop it or leave it. I have seen some people on Reddit & quora suggesting using muzzles, which is not a very good thing for being a responsible & loving dog owner.
- Related Issues
- Why Does My Dog Keep Licking Lips and Swallowing at Night
- Why My Dog Keeps Swallowing Like Hiccups
- Dog Swallowed Collagen Stick
So if your dog has followed a bag of Scrabble tiles or any other foreign object, you first need to call the veterinarian for quick advice and monitor your dog closely. It would be best if you took your dog to the nearest veterinarian as soon as possible.
However, if this is not possible for you or for a couple of hours, you can try using home remedies. Never force your dog to induce vomiting, as this should be done under the supervision of professionals and veterinarians.
If you follow the advice of your dog properly and monitor them closely during this time, you will keep them in the safest situation. It is also recommended that you consult with your veterinarian before using any home remedies, as trying anything yourself may also be an option.
For example, adding oil to their food may accidentally move directly into their digestive tract and cause obstruction. This will be a major problem. It would be best if you never tried anything that can hurt your dog more than doing good without consulting a veterinarian.
If you find the article helpful, then consider sharing it. Who knows, your share will help people learn things they may encounter in the future with their pets and save them at the right movement.
Your share, or you could save many pet lives and receive blessings from their pet owners. Do check our other helpful guide on our website. See you in the next post; till then, take care and goodbye.
If your dog has swallowed an object, it’s important to monitor them closely and seek veterinary care if necessary. While some objects may pass through the digestive system without issue, others may require surgical intervention.
It’s always best to consult your vet before trying home remedies or inducing vomiting. While these methods can be effective in certain situations, they can also cause harm if not done correctly.
By following the advice of your vet and monitoring your dog closely, you can help ensure their health and safety.