Even though collagen sticks may benefit dogs, like ‘According to a study by the American College of Veterinary Nutrition, collagen supplementation has been shown to improve joint health in dogs with osteoarthritis,’ it can sometimes cause a reverse effect if your dog swallows it directly.
You would be in the right article if your ‘dog swallowed collagen stick.’ Even though collagen sticks are safe for dogs to eat, there are also some potential risks. You should note that Collagen sticks can be a choking hazard if they are not chewed properly, whereas some dogs may be allergic to the animal proteins found in collagen.
In this article, I will answer Can dogs digest collagen sticks, and what happens if a dog swallows collagen sticks? After that, I will also tell you what you should do if your dog swallows one hole.
If you want proper guidance on safely incorporating collagen sticks into your dog’s diet and benefit from them, read this article completely & thoroughly. Let’s first learn: What To Do If You Dogs Swallowed Collagen Sticks?
What to Do if Your Dog Swallowed Collagen Stick?
If you think your dog swallowed whole collagen sticks, you must wait a few minutes to see your dog’s reaction. But if your dog starts showing unusual signs like loss of appetite, lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, choking, or abdominal pain, call your veterinarian for quick advice and get your dog to the nearest veterinary care as soon as possible.
You should know that the whole collagen stick can also cause blockage in your dog and cause blockage in your canine’s intestinal tract. And trust me, this is a life-threatening condition, even though your dog is not showing any discomforting signs.
You must provide immediate medical attention to your dog if this is the case. It becomes more important when you notice your dog choking on a partially chewed one. If your dog has Swallowed a collagen stick but hasn’t shown any sign of distress, try to wait 24 hours. Consider feeding your dog pumpkin puree, as it will regulate its digestive system due to its high fiber content.
Additionally, you can add a few drops of olive oil to their food to lubricate the whole collagen stick inside and help it pass through the digestive system as soon as possible. However, monitor your dog during this time and look for any unusual symptoms.
If you think or your gut says that you must consult with your veterinarian, do it. It would be best if you never tried to induce vomiting, as this should always be done under the supervision of a veterinarian.
- Related Articles
- Our Dog Swallowed A Bag Of Scrabble Tiles: What To Do
- Why My Dog Keeps Swallowing Like Hiccups
- Dog Swallowed Squeaker: Here’s What to Do
What If My Dog Ate a Whole Collagen Stick?
If you think your dog eats a whole collision stick, you must first monitor your Poonch closely for signs of distress. As per a study published in the Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, ingesting foreign objects is a common problem in dogs that can quickly lead to gastrointestinal obstruction, perforation, and even death.
If you notice your dog exhibiting signs of distress like vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, loss of appetite, or choking, it is best to see veterinary care immediately. Your veterinarian may recommend you remove the collagen by inducing vomiting or surgery if it has caused a blockage in the gastrointestinal tract.
Potential Risks and Side Effects of Collagen Sticks for Dogs
Even though collagen sticks offer many benefits, there are a few potential risks that you should be aware of for your dog’s well-being and health. Some potential risks and side effects associated with your dog when you provide collision sticks as treats to them include itching, swelling, & other allergic reactions.
Some dogs can be allergic to the animal protein found in collagen sticks resulting in your dog itching a lot with the swelling. In addition, providing your dog with too many collagen sticks will quickly make them obese and prone to many other health issues.
You must stick with the manufacturer’s recommendation on serving size and occasionally provide your dog with collagen sticks in small amounts. This is not a treat I would love to give my dogs daily.
3 Tips For Safely Giving Your Dog Collagen Sticks
- It would be best always to supervise your dog when she is chewing on a collagen stick to prevent joking and ensure that your pouch is chewing it properly.
- Next time you purchase treats for your dog, make sure to choose the appropriate size and shape of collision stick depending upon your dog’s breed & size.
- You should always include collagen sticks into your dog’s diet in small amounts and as part of a balanced diet. Or you can offer them as a treat separately in a small amount. If you want to know how much you should provide to your dog, below is the answer.
How Much Collagen Sticks Dogs Can Eat?
The frequency at which dogs can eat collagen sticks depends on several factors, such as their age, breed, and overall health. As the American Kennel Club suggests, you should never offer more sweets than 10% of your Poonch daily calorie intake.
First, determine how many calories you feed your dog and then calculate the 10% of dit. For example, if you are feeding 900 calories to your dog, you should only offer up to 90 calories of trees, including collagen sticks. To know how many calories per collagen stick, check the package label.
Can Dogs Swallow Collagen Bones?
Yes, dogs can swallow colored-in bones as they are designed to be chewed and Swallowed whole. However, this treat can sometimes pose a serious risk of choking or blockage, especially if your dog’s bone is too large. Since collagen sticks are available in various sizes & shapes, you should choose the one that fits according to your dog’s size.
Even though collagen bones are generally safe for your dog to swallow and openly promoted as dental health ‘ hygiene, there is always a risk of choking or blockage if you don’t choose the appropriate size & shape for the breed you have.
- Also Read
- Why Does My Dog Keep Licking Lips and Swallowing at Night
- Dog Swallowed Skunk Spray: 5 Do’s, 7 Risks, & 3 Prevention Tips
- My Dog Swallowed A Rib Bone Without Chewing: 5 Immediate Steps To Take
I tried my best to give you all the information you need to know on what to do when a ‘dog swallows collagen stick.’ Even collagen sticks are very popular as trees among dogs because they provide many health benefits like promoting a healthy coat and skin, improving joint health, and aiding digestion; you should supervise your dog while they eat.
Even though these states are considered safe for dogs to eat, it still poses potential risks like choking and gastrointestinal bucket. To prevent this risk, I will advise you to look at the appropriate sized and shaped collagen sticks according to your dog’s breed and size.
If you like this article and find it helpful, consider sharing it. Your share will help many people understand the potential risk of dogs swallowing collagen sticks and what they should be doing if they notice any signs of distress in their dogs.
Your one share can help many people save their pets’ lives and win you many blessings. You should also check our other helpful guide on my website regarding dog food reviews, homemade dog food, and best dog foods. See you in the next post; till then, take care and goodbye.